Saturday, March 31, 2012

Blowing Smoke

Love.  Really and truly. Perhaps two weeks before my wedding I should be directing this term towards my fiance (whom I also really and truly love), but today I shall share that love with winnowing, a pattern by Bristol Ivy published in Brooklyn Tweed's Wool People Vol. 2.

It's a very simple design. The entire shawl is half twisted rib, with yarnovers used for shaping and design. Yet the finished object is a thing of complex beauty.  The only complaint (no love is unconditional), is that (as with most things worth having) knitting this is a commitment.  It took me three weeks of monogomous knitting. Half of that time was spent on the seemingly never-ending knit-on border.

Here is my finished shawl, made with Tosh Merino Light in Smokey Orchid.  (The name, Blowing Smoke, is a twist of the pattern name "winnowing," which can mean to blow, and the yarn color.)


1 comment:

  1. This is truly something to be proud of! I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete