Saturday, June 15, 2013

Doodletown

Happiness.  It's been almost a year, but I finally made it back to the trail today. And it felt good.

Glenn joined me for a five mile hike in Harriman State Park.  We were at the eastern most edge of the park, near Bear Mountain, where the hamlet of Doodletown once stood. The town has been abandoned since 1965 when the State obtained the land. All of the houses are gone, but their foundations remain.  Along our trek we saw a deer, rabbit, chipmunk, several frogs, and numerous bugs (including way too many cicadas, which are out an about after their 17-year sleep).







The full slideshow below:

1 comment:

  1. Your photographs are beautiful Gretchen! I hope you don't mind I stole a few. I particularly love the butterflies and the cicada! I collect cicadas! Strange I know.
    Love you!
    Auntie Terri

    ReplyDelete