Saturday, September 28, 2013

Yellow and Grey

I have been taking the Left/Right Brain class at Big Picture Classes as a way to stimulate creativity in scrapbooking. This weeks challenges involved color. One was to start with a color palette. While I adore color, it is generally not my starting point for a layout. I prefer to work from the pictures, so this was quite the challenge for me.

I trolled the internet looking at color boards (which was a very satisfying activity in itself) and settled on  a combination of yellows and greys at Oh, Hello Friend.  I found papers and laid them out, then selected my pictures (using black and white pictures, I feel like I cheated a bit here). Where I got stuck was on the embellishments.  I needed a bit more light grey, and more weight at the bottom. I thought about it the next day at work and decided I would sketch out a skyline on grey cardstock.  I ended up sketching it out on a legal pad at work and liked the result enough that I brought it home, scanned it, then spent some time in PSE removing the blue and pink gridlines from the paper. Once the sketch was cleaned up I printed to copies on light grey cardstock and painted them with watercolors, gave them a spritz of Mr. Huey's Shine, and trimmed and layered the pieces into a border.





Supplies: Farmhouse Papers 302 papers and embellishments; Lilybeedesigns paper; Bazzill cardstock; Mr. Huey's Color Mist (calico, shine); Heidi Swapp Color Shine (mustard); Technique Tuesday and Limited Edition stamps; October Afternoon Mini Market alphas; AC Thickers (Shoe Box); Tim Holtz Distress Ink (pumice stone; black soot); MME decorative tape; EK Success border punch; foam dots; acrylic paint; watercolors

1 comment: