Thursday, February 27, 2014

Customized Ocean Waves


My latest sweater is a custom design I created using Amy Herzog's Custom Fit, knit in Sliver Moon Farm Sport in Pewter.

I was really excited about this website, since I've been toying with the idea of designing my own sweaters.  I decided to knit a scoop neck pullover with an textured stitch pattern.



I did a gauge swatch, then input my gauge, measurements, and design preferences into Custom Fit, which then generated a pattern for me. The pattern was right on.   (I'm just not thrilled with the stitch pattern I chose, which is very stretchy, or the yarn, which has too much variation for my taste).



My only complaint with the pattern was that it places the body shaping in the middle, which does not work when you're using an all-over stitch pattern.   For some reason, I did not think of this before I started. Fortunately, the variation in my yarn hid the shifts in the stitch pattern.  I would, however, recommend placing the shaping on the sides if you are using an all-over stitch pattern.   (If you're knitting in stockinette, then no worries, follow the pattern as written).

And since this project was about designing a custom fit sweater, I figured I should include some photos showing that it does actually fit.



The fit is very good, its my figure I'm not thrilled with. These pictures were difficult to post and I'm going to have to look at them repeatedly as motivation to stay on my diet.   It's a slow road, but hopefully next time I try using Custom Fit I will be entering smaller measurements.

2 comments:

  1. The sweater is beautiful, and you're gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are both beautiful. I wish I had your creative abilities...

    ReplyDelete