Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The Opposite Direction

My default title "And Now for Something Completely Different" would work well today. 

Lately, I've really enjoyed experimenting with new techniques involving stencils, inks, paints, modeling paste . . . the messier the merrier.  My newest layouts, however, do not use any of these media.  I'd say these layouts are simpler, but that wouldn't be true.  I've played with bright colors on grids, and there's still a lot going on.



MME, Studio Calico, Echo Park, Teresa Collins, Crate, and Farmhouse papers; Jenni Bowlin
element stickers; AC Thickers; Studio Calico chipboard circles; washi covered buttons; Fiskars stamp

When I finished this layout, I still had lots of pictures from the party that I wanted to scrapbook, and lots of scraps to use. I decided to turn it into a two-page layout.  My normal process is to design a two-page layout from inception, so it's a unified piece.  Here, instead, I did a fraternal page.



And then put the two together:



Lots and lots of parties this winter.  When I pulled out the last of my New Year's photos, I had Kool & the Gang's Celebration stuck in my head (and it still is.  Is it stuck in your head now?)  While I didn't use any paint or ink on this layout, I was able to add some depth and texture by layering vellum over pattern paper covered in sequins. To keep the design simple, I put the journaling to the tags.


Studio Calico (Stargazer, Pizzicato) and We R Memory Keepers (Notable) papers; AC Remarkable alphas; BasicGrey Pyrus alphas; Dew Drops; misc. brads; Studio Calico sequins; vellum; Tim Holtz/Sizzix die; Lawn Fawn twine; washi

1 comment:

  1. Great work, Gretchen. I like how you tied the pocket page into the single layout.

    ReplyDelete