Friday, March 7, 2014

Calvinball

There's a flurry of scrapbooking going on over at the Get It Scrapped boards this month, as the members participate in a free-for-all.  I wasn't planning on participating, since the chaotic nature of the game makes me want to break out in hives, but I've decided to at least dip my toe in. This way, all the crazy conversations surrounding the game may make sense.

Bonus point for doing a layout with Calvin & Hobbes and the shelf in my office provided me with the perfect layout:




It's pretty rare that I'll use speech bubbles or a primary color scheme in a layout, but it worked well with the comic book theme.  I printed my title below the photograph, and made multiple copies so I could layer all the pieces up and give it some dimension.  I also went over the title with acrylic paint to give a bit more of a handwritten feel.

Supplies: Jenni Bowlin and Bo Bunny papers; The Crafter's Workshop stencil; Tim Holtz Distress Ink (black soot, barn door); Studio Calico, Hero Arts, Chic Tags, and Two Peas/Shimelle Laine stamps; American Crafts MiniMarks rubons (Frank); and MME enamel dots


The other layout I finished this week is a complete one-eighty in style.  Glenn snapped a few pictures at his recording session last month and I wanted to include them in my scrapbook.  I always struggle with lowlight pictures. I may go back and print these in black and white to work better in the layout. I tried bringing in some gold in the background, but it doesn't look like there is enough.




I created the background with a stencil and black acrylic paint. Then I took a dauber and red, purple and gold acrylic paint for a bokah effect.  I should get extra points for using ancient stash. Those rub ons have been around for awhile.

Supplies: Echo Park (Times & Seasons 2) and American Crafts (Chap) papers; Tim Hotlz bubble stencil, Distress Ink (black soot); acrylic paint; Heidi Swapp Color Shine (gold lame); Fiskars and Studio Calico stamps; American Crafts Mini Marks rub ons (Frank); drew drops

1 comment:

  1. Oh that is a complete 180 in styles - but both are great pages. I'm undecided about whether or not to jump into the Calvinball scrapping fray. They do make it sound like fun, but there are some pretty fierce competitors there too.

    ReplyDelete