Sunday, April 6, 2014

Wonder Lake / Laurel Pond


Yes! We went out on our first hike of the season and it felt awesome. There was a time when I would hike all winter, but not this year. (To be honest, I'm too fat for my winter gear, but I'm working on that, so hopefully there won't be any time off from hiking next winter).


We went about an hour north of the City to Wonder Lake State Park in Putnam County. We hiked the 5 mile Wonder Lake/Laurel Pond Loop.


After the initial climb, it's a pretty easy-going hike, circling around a small lake and an ice-covered pond.  While the sun was out, it was still a bit chilly.



There were few signs of spring until we were near the end of the hike.  As we worked out way down the trail, we heard an awful racket.  At first I thought it might be geese, but as we approached marshy area, we realized it was frogs. There was a small pond with dozens of frogs doing what animals do in the spring.




1 comment:

  1. So beautiful! I'm glad you got a chance to get out over the weekend. Yay Spring!

    ReplyDelete