Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Starfish

My first layout for the Get It Scrapped blog.

My husband plays with a California-based ska band once a year when they make the trip to Brooklyn.  

I started with spray ink, a product I use often, but this time I wanted to try to use several inks to create a wash of color across the background.  The vivid mix of colors was ideal for a high-energy subject, but I also knew a black and white photo would work best.  I went a step further and converted my photo into a line drawing with an app.  The spray ink gave the background a gloss that could not be achieved with paint.  Applying a wet medium to the paper will cause it to buckle. Backing it with a heavy-weight paper will help to flatten it out.  A layer of gesso will minimize (but not prevent) buckling, but the ink will not absorb into the paper and will come off if it gets wet.  



Supplies: Paper: Studio Calico (Grid 03), Echo Park (Times & Seasons 2), cardstock; Alphas: Colorbok (Sticky Alpha Stax); Paint: Tattered Angles Glimmer Paint (Royal Velvet, Be Positive); Spray Ink: Heidi Swapp Color Shine (Mustard, Georgia Peach, Sweet Cherry), Tattered Angles Glimmer Mist (Cross My Heart); Enamel Dots: Twine & Ink, MME; Washi: Freckled Fawn, Queen & Co.; Chipboard: BasicGrey Highline; Journaling Sticker: Jenni Bowlin (Photo Freedom); Other: Studio Calico (die cut stars), Flair for Buttons (flair); ToonPaint (iPhone app)

Process video:



Detail shots:





No comments:

Post a Comment