Saturday, August 9, 2014

Art Journaling?

Art journaling is not a rabbit hole I was planning on going down.

I am using a lot more mixed media techniques in my layouts, which is a lot of fun, but layouts are still fairly structured and I have a goal when I sit down to do one. Art Journaling is a bit too free form for comfort! but it is good to push boundaries and learn new things.

Are you getting a sense of waffling?

I signed up for a class this fall with Dina Wakley. I'm really excited to learn some new layering techniques from her. I had most of the items on the supply list, but needed to buy an art journal. This purchase arrived this week and I decided I needed to break it in before the class.



Supplies: Stencils: Heidi Swapp (bird), Crafter's Workshop (tile), Memory Box (butterflies); Paint: Liquitex, Studio Calico; Spray Ink: Lindy's Stamp Gang Starburst (blue Hawaiian blue, blazing sun, cactus gold, my mojito green); Ink: Memento; Stamps: CTMH (chocolate alpha), Technique Tuesday (Big Timber alpha); misc. alphabet; Punch: Martha Stewart (butterflies); Pen: Faber Castell Pitt Artist (S); Other: gesso, gel medium

As much as I wish I could draw, I can't. I can, however, cheat.


I decided that since this is my art journal, I should have an introduction page, with a rendering of me.  So I took a photograph from my iPhone, ran it through the app ToonPaint, then e-mailed the final drawing to myself.



I printed this on the laser printer at work, and when I got home that night, I applied a thin layer of gel medium to the page of my journal and adhered the printout face down. I let it dry over night and the next morning I sprayed it liberally with water and began rubbing off the paper. I repeated this process several times and after awhile all that was left was the ink.  Because the image laid face down, the final product is a mirror of the original photo.

I debated painting it. I didn't want to run what I already had. Finally I got brave and dived into my brand new Studio Calico acrylic paints (along with some white Liquitex).  I figured I could always cover it with a few heavy layers of white paint if I messed up that badly. Fortunately, I didn't.









3 comments:

  1. Very nice! You may have "cheated" on the base drawing, but you did an incredible job colorizing! Very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really isn't a cheat at all, just the beginning of the learning process. Try it with faces you see in magazines.

    ReplyDelete