Saturday, September 27, 2014

Art Journal Saturday

Wow! Amazement and excitement. Why? Because I got guided instruction on fun, uninhibited play with paints and inks and stains.

Huh?

Okay, if you don't know me personally, I'm a bit type-A.  I am a lawyer after all.  I can set aside my need to control a bit when I sit down to create.  I at least I try to set it aside.  But I always feel that there is a wall there, keeping me corralled; placing limitations on how far I will go.

Not that limitations are always a bad thing. I do think its a good idea to be aware of design principles and to create within a framework that will result in a visually appealing final product.

But I also want to explore and push myself further.

To accomplish this goal, I signed up for a layering class with Dina Wakely. That's where the guided, uninhibited fun comes in.


She did give us steps to follow. But the directions were open-ended, and she made us go further than anything reasonable.  We weren't supposed to like our finished product. That wasn't the idea.


The idea was to see where we were comfortable drawing the line.

We also learned that we could take an image that we weren't in love with and make it into something that made us say Wow! and giggle with excitement.





And then to try again.  It may work. It may not. But you keep trying.



Supply lists are getting hard to do for art journal pages.  I used a mix of Dina Wakely, Liquitex, and Studio Calico Paints; Ranger Ink; Dina Wakely, The Crafter's Workshop, and Tim Holtz stencils; Penny Black and PSX stamps, a Stabilo pencil, a black Wink of Stella pen, and magic mesh.

1 comment:

  1. Love how you used the bold piece I. Smaller bits on the final art work. It came out great! I've been taking classes too. It's so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete