Sunday, December 7, 2014

Art Journal Sunday

A day late, but, in my mind at least, it's not coming up short.


So far, my approach with the art journal has been just to play. Experience color and texture and see what happens.  This has not, however, resulted in consistently satisfying results.

Recently I noticed some folk art vertical landscapes on Pinterest, like this one, and I thought that might be something I could manage. I definitely had lots of inspiration from photos I've taken while traveling or out hiking.

I started with a photograph I took of a deserted farm in Iceland. I had been taking pictures of horses across the street, and when I headed back to the car I noticed the farm and grabbed a few shots. Looking back at the pictures, I wished I had spent more time with the subject.


But I can spend time with it now. I began by sketching out an idea in the little journal I carry with me.


By the time I got home from work Friday night, I was eager to get started, and had a completed page a few hours later. (I was delayed until today in getting it posted, due to bad lighting).


I sketched out my idea into my art journal, then laid down a foundation of acrylic paint. I added texture to the meadow with a book page and modeling paste with a Tim Holtz stencil.  I also used a Tim Holtz stencil and black embossing paste on the roadway.  I then went in with another layer of acrylic paint, finishing off with a Simon Says Stamp star stencil and silver embossing paste for the night sky.



I love the texture and golden color of the field.  And I think the subject works much nicer as a symmetrical design, rather than offset as is is in the original photo.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic work! Its inspiring to hear the process because many days I don't know where to start!

    ReplyDelete