Friday, January 2, 2015

48 Hours in Memphis - Part I

Technically, we did arrive in the morning yesterday, but we spent most of the day in Mississippi.  I'm going to begin my countdown from when we really got to Memphis, which was around 9:00 p.m.

Try finding a place to eat at 9:00 p.m. on New Year's Day.  Fortunately, we are staying near Beale Street and there were a few places catering to tourists open.  I was able to get get my pork and cabbage, albeit in a rather unorthodox way, at Kooky Canucks.  I'm pretty sure bbq pork and coleslaw is just as lucky as pork and sauerkraut.

We began our first full day with an early-morning walk around town. I meant to take the walk after breakfast, but the information I found online was wrong, and the Blue Plate Cafe did not open until 8:00 a.m., so the walk came first.  And I got my first view of the Mississippi River.





After breakfast we spent a couple of hours at the Stax Museum of American Soul Music. Definitely worth the time.


After Stax, we stopped by Corky's Bar-B-Q for some authentic Memphis dry-rub ribs. Again, definitely worth the stop.

No trip to Memphis is complete without a stop at Graceland, so that's were we headed in the afternoon. Wow. I knew it drew crowds, but I wasn't expecting set up that they have there. It was a lot like going to an amusement park, including gift shops at the exit of every building. That said, it was a pretty interesting tour.  And I have a feeling that Elvis would be flattered that the fans he loved so much were still coming to see him.



We caught the tail end of the Christmas season, and Christmas decor.





After a break back at the hotel, we headed back out to Beale Street for dinner. This time we went to Itta Bena, which is located over BB King's.  We got treated to a nice dinner and music from Susan Marshall (acoustic blues). Then we took a slow walk back to the hotel, stopping to listen to a song or two at every other door.



1 comment: