Sunday, January 4, 2015

Black Walnut / Red Maple

This project was a test of my patience. Nearly three months of steady knitting, and I've finished my Black Walnut cardigan. The pattern is from the Fall 2012 Knitter's Magazine.  I knit it using Spirit Trail Fiberworks Sunna in the paprika and spice colorways. 






I did make some modifications to the pattern.

Since I was concerned about yardage for my contrast color, I did the garter-stitch cuffs and edging in one color rather than stripes. (If I were to knit it again, I would sip the garter stitch and do i-chord edging for more structure).
I also shortened the sleeves to 3/4 length, doing the increases more frequently.
I opted not to do the garter stitch flange around the armholes. My first thought was to simply join the sleeves to the body with mattress stitch, but I did not like how it looked, so picked up stitches around both the sleeve and body pieces and joined them with a three-needle bind off. If the fabric is stretched, a thin red seam is visible, but I prefer this to a wide red garter-stitch band.
This is a pattern for experienced sweater knitters, inasmuch as there are some details lacking in the written instructions. In particular, I would have liked a ratio for stitches to pick up along the rows for the slip-stitch fabric.

3 comments:

  1. WOW! This is absolutely beautiful. The color is stunning. I would consider myself an intermediate knitter (but I'm willing to try any stitches I could google instructions for!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily. This is a slip stitch pattern, but I don't know which one. The stitch is pretty easy, and can be memorized once you've repeated the pattern a few times.

      Delete