Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Giverny



Giverny. Finally.  And well worth the wait.


The first time I went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City, in my early teens, I fell in love with a painting of an oak tree. It was Monet’s Bodmer Oak. It’s not a typical Monet, but this painting spoke to me. The quiet forest scene reminded me of the woods I had left behind when we moved away from the North Country.  I grew to love all of Monet’s work, and when I went to France in 1994, my only goal was to go to Giverny to see his home and gardens.  I didn’t make it that trip, but twenty-one years later I finally got my wish. 

We took the train from Saint Lazare to Vernon, were we rented bikes to take us to Monet’s home. We were able to take our time, and explore the beautiful town.  




Monet’s home is enchanting. The gardens are amazingly lush. And walking around the pond, you can see why, as an artist, he was fascinated with light. The scene before you constantly changes as the light shifts. It’s stunning and I wish I could experience this place at all times of the day and in all weather (and without the hundreds of other people crowding the pathways).








On the way back to the train station, we stopped at a park along the river, where we found a charming old mill and 12th century castle used as a fortification by King Richard.



Here's the full slide show:

3 comments:

  1. I taught art once a month this school year to my daughter's class (5th grade) and we did Monet's water lilies in April. I wish I had seen this before doing that class (I know, you hadn't been there yet); but I feel like I am even more inspired to keep teaching those classes next school year now after seeing his home thru your eyes. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We went to Paris for a few days last spring but didn't have time to visit Giverny, which I really regret. I hope we can go back some day. Thanks for giving me a lovely glimpse of this beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete