Sunday, August 23, 2015

Hometown Explorations

Exploring your backyard takes on a new meaning when your hometown is New York City. I have lived here for more than twenty years and have played a tourguide on a number of occasions when friends and family come to visit. There are still, however, a few things that I have to check off my personal NYC-tourist list.  Among those were walking across the George Washington Bridge and visiting Governor's Island. Since I see both on a daily basis (I live in the shadow of the GWB and see Governor's Island from my office window), it's really surprising it took me so long. But this weekend we had two gorgeous days and it was time to go exploring. 





Along the way we also checked out High Bridge Park, directly east of the GWB, which features a water tower that I've seen every time I've driven in and out of the City and always wondered, what is that?


Governor's Island is located in the harbor at the southern end of Manhattan.  The ferry trip provides wonderful views and its a great way to spend a summer afternoon. We had an added bonus on this trip, since the island was hosting a VW car show.




And here I am, standing right in front of the building where I work.









No comments:

Post a Comment