Saturday, March 19, 2016

Favorite Things

Hello, everyone.

I recently returned to one of my favorite places in New York City.  I used to go to the Strand Bookstore all of the time when I was in school. Once I started work, however, I found myself in that part of town less and less often, and it fell of my radar.  Then, last month, I was invited to a reading and book signing by a popular knitting author, Clara Parkes.  It was the perfect excuse to head back. It's amazing how much joy walking through eighteen miles of books can bring!


Supplies: Paper: Pink Paislee (C'est la Vie), American Crafts; Alphas: American Crafts Thickers (Wildflowers), Recollections; Ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink (black soot); Lindy's Stamp Gang Starburst (cosmopolitan pink), Lindy's Stamp Gang Glitz Spritz (blazing sun), Dr. Ph. Martin's India Ink (black); Labels: Studio Calico; Enamel Dots: Doodlebug; Misc. Doily

To create the background, I first coated the pattern paper with a thin coat of white gesso. I then applied several coats of pink and light gold spray ink, then flicked on big spots of black India ink.  I decided that it needed even more texture, so I ran the paper through my sewing machine to create diagonal lines.  To cover areas where the ink bled into unseemly blotches, I handout flowers from the pattern paper and layered these over some labels.

Detail shots:





1 comment:

  1. Lovely! The two things I miss the most about NYC (after you, of course) are The Strand and The 92Y.

    ReplyDelete