Sunday, June 26, 2016

The Berkshires

"Deep greens and blues are the colors I choose, won't you let me go down in my dreams . . . ." 


I can't help it, I get James Taylor's Sweet Baby James stuck in my head just thinking about the Berkshires. Although, after visiting Stockbridge, I probably should have Arlo Gunthrie's Alice's Restaurant stuck in my head.  One of my oldest memories is my father playing that song for us on his guitar, and it was one of the first movies my parents rented when VCRs became a thing. Now, all these years later, I traveled along some of the same roads as these folk-music legends.


And there's more than music to associate with this corner of the western Massachusetts.  Normal Rockwell made his home here for many years, and the Norman Rockwell Museum is located just outside of Stockbridge.  It's a fabulous place. Just like the songs bring back memories, so do Rockwell's paintings. My mother used to have a coffee table book that I loved to page through as a child.  Now I have my own!




From traditional illustration, we moved onto large scale conceptual arty, spending an evening at Mass MoCa for a concert (the Suitcase Junket), which we really enjoyed.




No comments:

Post a Comment