Friday, July 1, 2016

Counterfeit Kit Challenge

Hello, everyone!

I'm very excited to be a guest designer for the Counterfeit Kit Challenge  this month. Even more exciting, the kit that we're counterfeiting is the Scrapbook & Cards Today Crop and Create Kit.  Wow, is this kit loaded. Fifteen pattern papers, eight pieces of cardstock, a stamp set, journaling cards, Thickers, mini alphas, enamel dots, and all kinds of other embellishments.


In putting together my kit, I tried to match the color balance from the original kit. I counted three multi-color pattern papers (dot, floral, stripe), three black, three turquoise, two white, and one each red, yellow, navy, and light blue.  I also tried to incorporate a mix of prints (although my stash tends to be heavy on dots). I was lucky in that I actually had a crossword print in my stash from years ago.(Details on what I used below).

Here's my kit:


For my alphas, I chose American Crafts Thickers (Eclair) and an old sheet of mini alphas from Basic Grey that still has a lot of use in it. I also chose Felicity Jane's Autumn Skies stamps and Simple Stories (Life in Color) Enamel Dots.  Instead of bows and pinwheels, I made rosettes from a Sizzix/Tim Hotlz die. And instead of ribbon, I grabbed washi.


For my journaling cards and other embellishments I pulled from the Simple Stories Life In Color collection. I still had plenty of wood veneer, chipboard, die cuts, and stickers in my stash.


I also grabbed some tags and labels that I had sitting around. The larger tags were made from a Tim Holtz/Sizzix die and the labels were from an old Studio Calico cut apart sheet.


The black pattern papers and the white with script paper I picked were all from the Pebbles Home + Made collection. The crossword is October Afternoon Roadmaps.


For the multi-color prints, I chose a stripe from Simple Stories Life in Color, a heart pattern from Simple Stories I Am, and a large floral form Pebbles Home + Made.


For the turquoise/aqua papers I chose a small and large dot patterns from the BasicGrey Hey You collection, and a medium dot pattern from Simple Stories Homespun.


For the remainder of the pattern papers, the red is Simple Stories Homespun, the blue is Shimmell True Stories, and the light blue stripe and yellow dot are both Pink Paislee Amore.



This is a huge kit and I image that I will be working with it for quiet awhile. It's nicely balance in colors and prints, and I imagine that as some elements get used up I will be able to incorporate other items from my stash.

You should also check out all the other Counterfeit Kit Club team members' kits.

Kelly
Lesley
Leslie
Lisa
Lynnette
Margie
Susan
Susanne
Jemma

Thanks to the Counterfeit Kit Club for this fantastic challenge.


14 comments:

  1. Hi Gretchen and a big wow from me for that superb kit - you really have matched it bit for bit and I look forward to seeing the many creations as you guest with us this month :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A spot on counterfeit! Looks just like the original...only better! Have fun creating!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow- a really great kit! Your counterfeit looks so much like the original!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A SUPERB counterfeit - you really stepped up to the mark!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a super counterfeiter you are! So glad you are guest designing this month, looking forward to more super work from your kit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I salute your superior forgery skills! Such a pleasure to have you here this month & congratulations on being our CKC Guest Designer for July. Your kit is absolute perfection. And yes - this one's a biggie! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous and so true to the original! I like how you took note of the breakdown of colors in the inspiration - I usually don't pay attention to the number of times a particular color appears and will have to remember this approach for next time.
    I especially like your selection of turquoise papers and your addition of wood veneer items. I'm glad to have you with us this month and look forward to seeing what you create!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job! Your kit looks amazingly like the original, but with your own touches.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful kit, I love how you kept the colours the same, and your rosettes are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful kit, so true to the original. Love how you grouped the papers by color to match up to the original hit,
    Cindy F

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done. A very literal interpretation with a just enough twist to make it your own. I like the substitution of rosettes for the pinwheels.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful kit :) love the way you grouped it too and the Simple Stories line is just perfect for this kit :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with the others - it's a perfect Counterfeit. It matches what you obviously have and love while being very true to the original inspiration - you've matched the colours perfectly. It's always fun to see how others take the direction offered by the original. Lovely to have you on board this month - sorry it's taken me a while to get over here!

    ReplyDelete