Monday, September 12, 2016

Scotland Day 2 (Lochalsh and Skye)

Hello, everyone.

Welcome back to my travelog of Scotland. Our first day took us to Fort William.  Our second day brought us to the Isle of Skye.  (All of my photos from this leg of our trip can be found here).


We drove through Lochalsh on our way to Skye, stopping from time-to-time to enjoy the views of the lochs (and take a break from the driving, which wasn't being made easier by the steady rain).


The original plan had been to take the Mallaig Ferry to Skye, stopping by the Glenfinnan Viaduct. Unfortunately, the tide was against us and the ferry was delayed several hours.  Rather than losing half a day on the island, we opted to take the bridge.


Our first stop on the island was the Talisker Distillery in Carbost. Since the tour was already sold out, Glenn opted for a tasting.



After appeasing my husband with some whiskey, we headed to the Fairy Pools in Glen Brittle.  The water was running high and we joked that they were the Fury Pools.  I was pretty excited to do this short hike, despite the wind and the rain.   Unfortunately, the wind prevented me from setting up my tripod  to photograph the waterfalls, but I made do.




\

On the way to our guest house in Portree (the Medina B&B), we made a stop at Dun Beag Broch, the ruins of an iron-age fort outside of Struan.



To reach the ruins, you have to walk through a sheep pasture, which I got a kick out of.



Portree is a wonderfully charming town, and a very popular destination.  Since I didn't know when we would be arriving, I had not bothered with dinner reservations. This was an oversight on my part. We did find a seat at the Portree hotel and Glenn was able to try haggis, which he did like.



Another very busy day, but every moment was a joy!



1 comment: