Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Process


Have you ever picked your own strawberries? Remember how plump and sweet they are? While the farmer did the work of picking for us, the strawberries at the Saratoga Springs Farmers' Market, fresh from the farm, were just as amazingly sweet.

When doing a page, I start with a stack of photos (if you know me, you know just how many photos I take!) and find a few that tell the story the best. Sometimes its hard to chose, or there are multiple stories to tell, so I do more than one layout. (There are multiple layouts in the work for the farmers' market. Raddishes are just so pretty :)

As I'm going through the photos, I sketch out how I want them to lay on the page. Then I start digging through my stash of paper for something that goes with the photos and the story behind them. Here, I chose My Minds Eye Penny Lane and So Sophie and Making Memories Noteworthy.


As I mentioned in the opening post, I want to improve the quality of my craft, so I wanted to use this layout as a canvas for experimenting with new techniques. Lately I have been watching the tutorials Jennifer McGuire did for Ranger products at Two Peas in a Bucket (link below). In this layout, I used cranberry alcohol ink on old pink Heidi Swapp chipboard. Since I do not have any pearls to make it shimmery, I used Decoart Craft Twinkles (a clear gel with glitter in it) to add some sparkle.

I love adding texture to layouts. To finish this one off, I created strawberry embellishments by running red paper through a Cuttlebug swiss dot embossing folder, cutting the strawberries by hand and topping them with green flowers (another trick learned from watching Jennifer McGuire's tutorials). I used a white Gellyroll pen to highlight the "seeds" created by running the paper through the embossing folder.




No comments:

Post a Comment