Friday, September 10, 2010

The High Peaks

Checking in before I disappear off the grid for a few days. I am very excited about our planned expedition - backpacking the Wright, Algonquin and Iroquois peaks in the Adirondacks.

While I can't wait to hit the trail with my friend Christine, this trip is somewhat bittersweet for me. The last time I was in the Lake Placid region (the day these photos were taken), was the day before my father's memorial. I drove up early to spend some time alone in the mountains where he had lived and I had spent so much of my childhood. Dad stayed with me in the City before and after his heart transplant. I would come home from hiking and show him my photos. He would talk about the 46 High Peaks and, while recognizing that most of the Adirondack peaks were beyond him, hoped that he would get well enough to do some of the shorter climbs. Sadly, that was not to be.

This weekend will be my first time hiking in the Adirondacks. As I hike each of the 46 peaks, I will bring dad along with me, in my heart.




No comments:

Post a Comment