Friday, March 18, 2011

Knitting for Lois

UPDATE Courtesy of my new random number generator widget I installed on my blog, our winner is No. 8 out of the 8 entries. Kim M I will contact you and let you know when I ship your scarf. I can't say thank you enough to everyone who participated. I know it means a lot to the family to give back to the organization that gave so much to them and their daughter. Thanks to you, they are much closer to their fundraising goal. For those of you who have ever posted (or are now thinking) "I want one!" here's your chance. As explained below, I am "raffling" this luxurious scarf to help support children with cancer. The Goods: This scarf, which measures approximately 6 x 60 inches, was knitted using Louisa Harding Grace Hand Dyed yarn. This 50% silk, 50% merino yarn was produced in Italy and hand painted by artisans at Araucania Yarns in Chile. The yarn is a varigated raspberry/wine hue. In addition to the variation in color, the single-ply fiber varies in thickness. This can be seen in the different texture in the stitches. The pattern I chose is for a Mae Geri Scarf by by Dorothy Jane. The pattern is named for a karate front kick and the lacey pattern is designed as a disguise for a ninja.


The Cause:

A dear friend recently lost her three-year old daughter to leukemia. She and her husband would like some good to come out of this devastating loss and have asked that those touched by Lois's story do something charitable in her honor. For more information, please visit The Daily Lois and Butter Bean's Brigade. I started knitting for Lois the month she was diagnosed. Four friends and I each contributed knitted squares to an afghan to comfort Lois while she was sick. Now that she is gone, I would like to continue to comfort her and her family with my knitting. The Raffle: I am "raffling" this piece to raise money for one of the charities that supported the family while Lois was sick. Please go to the family's fundraising page for the ASK Walk-A-Thon and make a donation. (While recommended donations are listed, you can click on the green "donate" box and make a donation in any amount you are comfortable with. Please donate at this >> link << Do not send money directly to me). After you have made a donation, come back to my blog and post a comment that you have done so (and please only comment if you have made a donation). At noon eastern on April 15th I will randomly chose one (1) winner from those who comment below. I will post the winner in this blog and ask that you contact me to provide shipping details, so please check back. Please feel free to re-post this link. The more participants, the more we honor Lois's memory. A note regarding the recent disaster: I considered holding back on my raffle knowing that many of my friends would chose to make donations to the relief efforts. While the need is unquestionable, charities closer to home also require assistance in order to continue to provide much needed services. Even a small donation can go a long way in comforting a child with cancer.

Me with Lois in October 2009, on her second birthday, a few months before she was disagnosed.

8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous scarf! Just donated and reposted your link on facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to donate to such a worthy cause. Winning a pretty scarf made by you would be a bonus. Brava :)
    -Val Casale

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a special thing you're doing here Gretchen. I have donated and will re-post so my Facebook friends can view this and consider donating as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I donated. Saw it on Barbara's Facebook. We do the Relay for Life every year with Barbara and Lois was our honorary team member last year. I will also re-post on my Facebook. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We donated. Inspirational idea for a raffle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Done, thanks for doing this Gretchen.

    ReplyDelete