Friday, March 11, 2011

A Special Project

It's unusual that I have two projects cast on at the same time, but I was inspired last week to start a special project. I'll post more details on that once the knitting is done.

It all begins with a pattern. I found this wonderful pattern by Dorothy Jane for a lace scarf on Ravelry.

Once I decided on a pattern, it was time to find the perfect yarn. I wanted something with a sheen, so I set out to find a silk blend. I discovered this wonderful yarn by Louisa Harding called Grace Hand Dyed. It is a 50% silk, 50% merino produced in Italy and hand painted by artisans at Araucania Yarns in Chile. The yarn I bought is a varigated raspberry/wine hue (more purple than is showing in the photo). In addition to the variation in color, the single-ply fiber varies in thickness as well. This can be seen in the stitches.

Unfortunately, the color isn't set as well as I'd like and it is bleeding on my hands a bit as I knit. I'm hoping a cold rinse when I'm done will help.

No comments:

Post a Comment