Saturday, February 2, 2013

Lights, Camera, Action

First, let me introduce the star of the show.  Callen is a pattern by Norah Gaughan, which I've knit in Woolen Rabbit's Grace.  I cannot say enough about how wonderful this yarn is for cable work:

I've been struggling with photographing my knitwear for some time. It's fairly easy when I get a nice day and can head out to one of the parks. But often I finish something early in the week, and don't want to wait until the weekend, with my fingers crossed that the weather is good, so that I can photograph my project.   And who wants to do a photoshoot when its twenty degrees out?

So, I photograph in the craft room.  Not ideal.  Even during the day, we have minimal natural light. So I'm left with overheads, one Ott light, and yellow walls.




It works in a pinch, but I struggle with shadows and a yellow color cast, even during the day.  My sollution was to invest in a high-wattage light set up, with deflectors so that the light would not be shining directly on my project, casting shadows. A white sheet serves as my backdrop.


Now, instead of shooting on ISO 6400 and getting lots of shadows, I can shoot at 800 and have to worry about being over exposed.







(Hmm... maybe I should iron the sheet next time).

1 comment: